I was listening to an inspirational song, where the songwriter tries to imagine what he would do when he sees Jesus face to face in heaven. Would he stand or would he fall on his knees? Would he sing Hallelujah or just be silent?... It’s a beautiful song. It got me thinking; does the Bible give any examples of people’s reaction, when they came into God’s presence? Here are a few that I found.
In the presence of God:
- Adam and Eve hid themselves, after they disobeyed God in the Garden (Genesis 3:8).
- The people were afraid – When Moses went up the Mountain to meet with God and they heard the thunderings and saw the lightning flashes and smoke. (Exodus 20:18)
- Ezekiel fell on his face (Ezekiel 1:28)
- All men will shake (Ezekiel 38:20)
- Jonah fled (Jonah 1:3)
- People feared (Haggai 1:12)
- Isaiah saw his own unworthiness and said, “Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The Lord of hosts.” (Isaiah 6:5)
- The Apostle John fell at his feet as dead (Revelation 1:17)
- The people, who had rejected the Lord Jesus Christ were standing and waiting to be judged from the books at the Great White Throne (Revelation 20:11-12)
These examples sound like it’s a very scary thing to be in God’s presence. For sure, we must have reverence before Him. Yet, there is comfort in knowing that if we know and abide in the Lord, we can feel safe.
“He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” (Psalm 91:1)
We can also experience fullness of joy and pleasures forevermore in His presence!
“You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” (Psalm 16:11)
How can we “know” Him? The only way is through The Lord Jesus Christ.
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.’” (John 14:6)
Jesus told us that we need not be afraid. He has prepared a place for us in Heaven. Not only can we imagine, but with joy look forward to seeing Him face to face!
“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:1-3)